Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Hemline stitches according to my grandmother

When I was a kid my grandmother showed me how to sew hemlines properly. I have no idea what the stitches are called, but it works just fine. The red taffeta dress I'm working on of course needed to have the hemline stitched by hand (I really didn't want a visible seam at the edge!) so I thought I'd take the time to show you what my grandmother taught me.

First, you do a tiny stitch above the hem, from the right to the left.











Then, moving the needle to the right, do a larger stitch through the hem (without penetrating the outer fabric), also from right to left. Then do another tiny stitch in the fabric above, further to the right. And so on and so on.










The result is a very flexible seam that is hardly visible from the outside. Do any of you know what the stitches are called?

2 comments:

  1. åh ja den där sömmen, jag kollade upp den i "sömmar och stygn" av Grete Petersen & Elsie Svennås (bra bok)... Gles flätsöm, kallas även häxsöm eller flanellstygn tydligen... Men som med det mesta finns det nog olika åsikter om vad den heter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha, alla tre ord var helt nya för mig (tror inte ens att mormor visste vad stygnet hette när hon visade mig). Häxsöm är ju helt klart det trevligaste namnet, så det kör jag på från och med nu! :D

    ReplyDelete