Thursday, January 13, 2011

Medieval underwear from Schloß Lengberg

I just found a reference to a fairly recent archaeological find in Lengberg Castle in Austria, which included a whole bunch of textiles. Have a look at this link, in which it is mentioned that amongst the finds are several "nearly complete linen bras", and one that even has quite a modern look despite most likely having been made already in the 15th century! Now I have been searching for pictures of these bras but I can't find any. If you have any links or other info, please share them with me! I am incredibly curious!

Another interesting link, which I got from a stitch in time, shows a few pictures which are pretty interesting. Check out the panties, also from Lengberg Castle! Perhaps it is actually time to do some medieval underwear, instead of cheating like I have done so far?

4 comments:

  1. Fascinating! I always thought they didn't have underwear apart from the shift. By the 15th century dresses are very supportive in cut. I wonder if the pants were only for use at a certain time of the month to hold rags?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'm also quite curious of the details of how and when they were worn...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Would you care to elaborate on that assesment?

      Delete