Sunday, July 5, 2015
So how was this done? First, a trench was dug into the ground/slope. A base of compacted gravel was then then added to the bottom of the trench, and on top of that a reinforced frame was constructed out of leca blocks, rebars and concrete. On top of that the counter was constructed using even more leca blocks.
The grill is a commercial pre-case concrete thing, assembled on top of the counter (we just left the bottom half out, not needing it).
The surface was then painted white, and slabs of slate put in place. For a long time we thought of alternatives there, we were at first thinking of using the same tiles we have in the kitchen for example, but then in the end we decided that clean slate would be best.
The grill is seeing a lot of use already. This picture here to the left you see it being used to make burgers, for example! The "hearth" we have still only used twice but it works wonderfully as well. The oven I am still working on getting the hang of, it's not as easy as one would think! I have managed to bake some simple flatbread in there and next step is to try making pizza (of course).
There you have it, our outdoors kitchen!